16 Mar Montreal’s Crown Jewel: A Comprehensive Guide to the Golden Square Mile
Montreal’s Crown Jewel: A Comprehensive Guide to the Golden Square Mile
Montreal’s crown jewel: A comprehensive guide to the Golden Square Mile hgihlights the history, the sights to see, some of the top rated restaurants, real estate, and above all, what makes this Montreal neighborhood so unique and special.
The Golden Square Mile is situated at the base of Mount Royal in the heart of downtown Montreal. It is a historic and vibrant neighborhood teeming with grand architecture, elegant streets, lush green spaces, and a rich history. Known for its luxurious mansions, world-class shopping, and gourmet restaurants, the Golden Square Mile is a must-see destination for both tourists and locals alike. In this article, we will delve into the many aspects that make this neighborhood so special,
Map of Golden Square Mile
- Origins The Golden Square Mile emerged in the mid-19th century as a prestigious residential area for Montreal’s English-speaking elite. Wealthy industrialists and businessmen built their grand estates in this neighborhood, drawn to its prime location and stunning views of the city and Mount Royal.
- Golden Era From the 1850s to the 1930s, the Golden Square Mile was at its peak, housing some of Canada’s wealthiest families, such as the Molsons, Redpaths, and Desmarais. During this period, the neighborhood’s architectural landscape was defined by stately mansions, lavish gardens, and ornate churches.
- Decline and Revitalization The Great Depression and the rise of suburbanization led to the decline of the Golden Square Mile, with many mansions being demolished or converted into commercial spaces. However, efforts to preserve and revitalize the area began in the 1980s, and today, the neighborhood is a thriving hub of culture, history, and modern luxury.
II. Sights and Features
- Architecture: The Golden Square Mile is renowned for its diverse architecture, from Victorian mansions to modern skyscrapers. Notable buildings include the Mount Stephen Club, the Redpath Museum, and the Ritz-Carlton Montreal.
- Green Spaces: With Mount Royal Park bordering the neighborhood, the Golden Square Mile is home to numerous green spaces, such as Percy Walters Park and the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts Sculpture Garden.
- Museums and Galleries: Art and history enthusiasts will appreciate the neighborhood’s wealth of cultural institutions, including the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, the Canadian Centre for Architecture, and the McCord Museum.
4K Montreal Downtown Walk in Golden Square Mile – Canada 2021
Montreal Downtown Walk in Golden Square Mile – Canada 2021 #montrealwalk #montreal2021 #downtownmontreal Hello guys and welcome to my channel, Bonjour les amis et bienvenue sur ma chaîne Youtube, I this video, I will start walking on Simpson Street to Sherbrooke Street West and then walk on Bishop Street, Crescent Street, Du Musée Avenue and Pins Avenue in Golden Square Mile in Downtown Montreal.
III. Restaurants and Dining
Here are just a few of some top rated restaurants in the neighborhood:
- Maison Boulud: This elegant French restaurant, located within the Ritz-Carlton Montreal, is led by world-renowned Chef Daniel Boulud and offers a refined dining experience featuring seasonal ingredients and classic French techniques. Maison Boulud Rating: 4.6 stars Located within the Ritz-Carlton Montreal Address: 1228 Sherbrooke St W, Montreal, Quebec H3G 1H6, Canada Phone: +1 514-842-4224 Website: https://www.maisonboulud.com/montreal/
- LOV McGill: A trendy, plant-based eatery, LOV McGill offers a variety of vegan and vegetarian dishes that are both delicious and sustainable. LOV McGill Rating: 4.4 stars Address: 1404 Drummond St, Montreal, Quebec H3G 1V9, Canada Phone: +1 438-387-1322 Website: https://www.lov.com/en/location/lov-mcgill/
- Café Ferreira: Café Ferreira is a popular Portuguese restaurant that offers a modern take on traditional dishes, complemented by an extensive wine list and a lively atmosphere. Café Ferreira Rating: 4.5 stars Address: 1446 Peel St, Montreal, Quebec H3A 1S8, Canada Phone: +1 514-848-0988 Website: https://ferreiracafe.com/en/
- Europea: Rating: 4.7 stars Address: 1065 de la Montagne St, Montreal, Quebec H3G 0B9, Canada Phone: +1 514-398-9229 Website: https://www.europea.ca/en/
- Dominion Square Tavern: Rating: 4.5 stars Address: 1243 Metcalfe St, Montreal, Quebec H3B 2V5, Canada Phone: +1 514-564-5056 Website: https://www.taverne.ca/
Photo by Casey Lee
IV. Interesting Stats and Data Points
- The Golden Square Mile once represented 70% of Canada’s wealth during its peak in the early 20th century.
- The neighborhood is home to McGill University, one of Canada’s most prestigious institutions of higher learning, founded in 1821.
- The area encompasses approximately 0.84 square kilometers (0.32 square miles) and is bounded by René-Lévesque Boulevard to the south, Mount Royal Park to the north, Côte-des-Neiges Road to the west, and University Street to the east.
Some Points of Interest
- Sherbrooke Street: A historic street lined with elegant buildings, luxury shops, and art galleries.
- Mount Stephen Club: A luxurious private club housed in a stunning Victorian mansion.
- Montreal Museum of Fine Arts: A renowned museum with a beautiful façade and sculpture garden.
- Ritz-Carlton Montreal: A historic luxury hotel in the heart of the Golden Square Mile
- McGill University: A prestigious university with a picturesque campus and impressive architecture
For those interested in purchasing a beautiful condo in the prestigious Ritz Residences, in the heart of the Golden Square Mile please get in touch. Preview the listing brochure or Watch the Youtube video to preview the listing.
1280 Rue Sherbrooke Ouest #1110 – Realtor Montreal Bonnie Meisels
Welcome to 1280 Rue Sherbrooke Ouest #1110 Located in the Ritz private residences in the heart of the Golden Square Mile, of downtown Montreal. Aside from the most incredible and sought after locations, this 2 bedroom + den features some of the highest quality finishes and impeccable style and design.
Read the latest Montreal market report
Get in touch!